Bathtub surrounds are an economical and relatively easy to install way to upgrade the look of your bathtub and bathroom overall. A bathtub surround, which is also known as a tub wall or wall kit, is a surrounding wall that reaches from the end of the tub to the ceiling. They generally have three sides, with an open side where you can get into and out of the tub.
Why Use Bathtub Surrounds?
A bathtub surround is an inexpensive and simple way to update the look of your bathroom. They can be inserted into an existing tub without having to remove the entire bathtub and start from scratch.
The surround also provides a watertight barrier for the walls around your bathtub. This helps to protect them from water damage.
Bathtub surrounds can also be installed over virtually any surface material. Whether the walls in your bathroom are plaster, cement, drywall or even tile, a surround can be installed.
These surrounds are also easy to maintain. Because they are a solid surface that is watertight, they can be washed with virtually any type of cleaning agent.
Installation Tips For Bathtub Surrounds
When installing a bathtub surround it’s critical that it is done properly to ensure that the seal is watertight and the surround won’t come loose over time. When installing one of these tub liners, here are several important tips:
– Remove all fixtures from the walls where the surround will be installed. This includes taps, showerheads, soap trays, etc.
– Patch or repair the walls if necessary to ensure a flat, smooth surface for installing the surround.
– Measure the locations and sizes of any fixtures you removed and cut the appropriate holes in the tub liner before installing it.
– Insert the surround panels temporarily and check the alignment of all fixtures and other accessories.
– Once you have confirmed the placement of the surround, use an adhesive to install it permanently. Some panels even have peel-and-stick tape that can be used to affix the surround to the walls. And remember to give the adhesive enough time to cure before exposing it to any type of moisture.
Most surround kits include specific instructions for installing them properly. Make sure to read through these instructions before beginning the installation, and have them on hand to refer to during the process as well.